In a flight of fancy I've endeavored to begin a small movement in the form of a one-hundred line poem focusing on the Joys of Reading, to be presented on a fully illustrated framed poster and given to the Children's Educational Service at the Primary Children's Medical Center in SLC, UT.
This poem will be part of a compiled book focusing on the Joys of Reading, the proceeds of this first book will be given to Primary Children's Medical Center in SLC, UT. The goal is to a compile a similar book every year or every other year, each of which the proceeds will go to a different children's charity or organization.
I want to give budding artists, authors, photographers, as well as various Well-knowns an opportunity to contribute one line or picture each focused on the Joys of Reading. It's the sentiment that counts most! Especially if it's coming from someone the children will know and get excited about =) It will also be a great opportunity to introduce new talent into the world.
(Update: We've decided not to go one line at a time, if you've been invited to participate, please just submit a line/photograph/illustration as per the instructions given, and I'll give it a nice home in the book. I'm sure there will be lots of rearranging as we go, so stay tuned!)
A sincere Thank You in advance to those good sports who contribute a token of their own personal joy of reading for the children! I will be updating this blog with each new line, which will be numbered. The name of each contributor will be listed at the bottom with the number corresponding to the line they wrote.
What better way is there to share our Joy of Reading than by bringing together an array of diverse peoples from various walks of life who can contribute a unique perspective in the form of a united poem? This is bound to be one magical project of love.
~Diana J. Davidson
*Suggestions for the contributors: The line you write can be as whimsical or as serious as you please. In fact, the more of your personality you can inject into One Line- the better! Rhyming is a plus, though obviously not necessary in each line, or we would have one seriously redundant suffix from beginning to end! *lol* Just try to have fun, and keep in mind that it's for children (so try not to be too heavy or adult-complex ^_~).
FOR THE JOY OF READING
1. Every time I open a book, I find myself inside it
2.The self I dream I dare to be, in worlds both far and near.
3. To dwell in lands where daring damsels wield swords and save the day
4. Sea-colored dragons in the sky and sun-stained waves at my feet
5. A Flight of Fancy, on a Wyndborne ship
6. As earnest dreamers write adventures they'll never have
1. Bruce Coville, Beloved Bestselling Children's Author of THE MAGIC SHOP books, the UNICORN CHRONICLES, GOBLINS IN THE CASTLE and founder of Full Cast Audio.
2. Sarah Evans; mother and pending author of the Lendepacit series.
3. Lisa McMann, New York Times bestselling author of the WAKE trilogy and THE UNWANTEDS Series. Also answers to Best Cook Mama
4. Sarah Beth Durst, author of VESSEL and friend of dragons.
5. Diana J. Davidson, aka The Soup Witch© - Wife, mother, artisan, author, and Imaginapreneur. ONE OF A KIND and THE SKYSLES OF WYN'AUREN.
6. Brandon Mull, Master Storysmith and Bestselling Author of FABLEHAVEN, THE CANDY SHOP WARS, and THE BEYONDERS.